Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Strange Discovery

As awesome as my art space is, up until yesterday most of my supplies were in storage and inaccessible.

Now? I'm still missing a few boxes, but I have most of it. I will eventually be posting photos in a "before and after" fashion, when the studio actually reaches the elusive "after" state. But that is not why I am here, writing to you today.

See, I was minding my own business, organizing the studio's layout and finding homes for all my little beads. Poor little hobos that they are, they don't even have a proper home...

But I digress. I was sorting and sifting through the special vintage beads from my grandmother (the ones mentioned in my previous post). They had been living in a plastic baggie since she gave them to me, and I decided that they deserved a better home:



Now, some back story~ my grandmother is notorious for holding onto things, and forgetting about them. *I* have the unique knack (and ill-fated luck) of finding said items. Before today, the craziest item I had found was a shaker of celery salt that HAD NO EXPIRATION DATE. After some online research, we realized that it had been purchased before 1971.

But this recent discovery takes ALL the cakes.

See, like I said, I was sorting... and I found some items that were most definitely not beads. Torn edges of newspapers, wire bits, pennies... you know, things within the range of normal. And then I found this.


Yes, that's my workbench. And yes, that's my "pedestal" from yesterday. But no, it's not a bead.

It's PART of a human tooth. Because yes, my life is just *that* weird.

It's a good thing I love you, grandma... <3

3 friends stopped by to chat:

David Evans said...

I wonder if there's a word that describes finding an ancient tooth in a bag of beads? It kind of combines archaeology with recreation. Interesting story.

YNP.214 said...

Could be part of Granny's wisdom tooth and she has passed it on to you. Now soak it all up!

Julia said...

HAHAHA-- thanks for commenting guys! <3 You both brought such a smile to my face!!! And man, do I need all the smiles I can get, these days.

I'm glad you liked the story, Dozy & Yosie! ...Wow, your names sound FABULOUS together... so poetic~ ;)

... Anyhow... I'm not going to lie, my first thought was, "Who did Grandma put under a VooDoo spell, and why did she pass ownership of said spell over to me?"

PS-- I know you read this blog, Grandma, so here's a shout-out to you <3 Thanks for all your support, through all the years, with everything I've done~ and remind me never to cross you. You with your scary Grandmother-ly VooDoo superpowers and all :P

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, and for reading my blog! <3